MY SIMPLE SKIN ROUTINE


Wedding Day skin (Circa 2011) Light make-up and awesome moisturizer (Thank you Phil!) :)
Over the years, I've made a conscious effort to change the way I care for my skin. When I was younger I could skip a moisturizing session here and there, drink soda and coffee and my skin was resilient, but with age I see my skin has become more sensitive and can't bounce back as it did when I was in my early twenties. I changed my skin regimen a few times but now I think I have something that works for me. I've always had skin issues (Eczema, Hidradenitis Suppurativa) so, naturally, a skin regimen was in order. Along with healthy eating habits and drinking at least 64 oz. of water a day, I've reduced the amount of breakouts due to the conditions I've named above and have dewy, glowy, clear skin with minimal issues like blackheads, uneven skin tone and scarring. 

Here is a breakdown of my skin regimen: 

Daily Maintenance

1. Drink Water
I typically drink about 74.4 oz. a day but am working on drinking about 95 oz. a day. It is suggested you drink half your body weight in ounces per day.

2. At least 3-4 servings of vegetables
Seems easy enough, but I struggle in this area because there are so many other better foods. I'm learning to spruce up my salad with different light dressings and adding tuna. I love tuna! It's not easy but I’m better than I was. 

3. 2 or few servings of fruit
Fruit is high sugar which causes awful breakouts to my face and neck. While I'm obsessed with Mangos, I have to keep it to about 2 or so a week and sometimes that can be a bit much. 

4. 2-3 Multiple Vitamins 
    Currently, I’m taking the following:

I absolutely love all of these vitamins and have seen a significant difference in the     overall health of my skin, hair and nails. I will say it is doing some amazing stuff on the inside to but I won't go too deep into those details, TMI. :) You don’t have to take so many multiple vitamins, but I’m a vitamin freak and I love trying new vitamins and products for health and wellness.

5. 8 hours of Sleep
Now, I would be lying if I said I get 8 hours every night but I strive to get that much     if not more. My skin, especially my face, is glowing and clear when I get lots of rest. I can't stress this enough. Multivitamins are great but sleep is definitely better. My skin has made this very clear on multiple occasions. When I have gotten enough rest, my skin is more resilient to the wear and tear of the elements and just looks so much better. It is supple, smooth and vibrant. When I'm running off of 5 or less hours of sleep it is grainy looking, bumpy, and I look washed out. If you do none of the above at least get some sleep. 

6. Cleanse
Because I have ultra-sensitive skin so I have to be very careful in skin product     selection. All my products must be fragrance-free! This is typically what I look for first in a skin care product. I've tried many lines but find that the following work best:

7. Oil/Moisturizer 
    I use a dime size amount of 100% Raw Apricot Oil on my face in combination with 
  Trader Joe's Nourish Oil Free Antioxidant Facial Moisturizer. I know, that sounds totally weird that I would use an oil free product on my face in combination with oil but I have combination skin so apply the facial moisturizer to the whole of my face and use the apricot oil on the dry areas of my face (nose, forehead, lips and corners of mouth). Apricot oil is great for dry hair and reduces the appearance of fine lines.

8. Stress Free Zone
Stress affects everyone differently. For me, when I’m stressed my skin is the first   thing to react. It will break out and look completely lifeless. To cope, I have all white room in my house where I go and pray, read, relax and just reflect. Having a place to get away really does make a difference. We all need alone time. Find that place and just getaway for a while, even if it is for a few minutes. We must reboot and remove the negative. You must take care of yourself before you can help others. 


9. Laughter
I’m a goof so I find that the more I smile the less I stress meaning less breakouts    and less skin issues. Laugh, play, be a kid, jump a fence, get dirty, love deeply and lose yourself every now and then. Be free, bondage is never good for a clear face and healthy skin ;).

10. Love the skin you’re in
I know, totally cliché but it is true! You have to love yourself in order for others to love you. There is nothing wrong with Self-love. You have to lift yourself up and except what is and trust that everything else will fall into place. Know your worth and everything else will fall into place, including your skin.

Hope this helps!

Till next time!

Sincerely,


Deidra Marie

Comments

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM @sincerelydeidra